This workshop will be geared for people interested in working with youth, particularly by creating partnerships that provide youth opportunities in the arts for community benefit.
1. We will first provide an overview of Youth Action Coalition (YAC) programs and mission. YAC has 5 arts-for-change programs in 3 towns in Western MA. All programs aim to empower youth through art making, social justice education and community engagement. Our 4 pillars are “I AM, I CREATE, I BELIEVE, WE CONNECT”. (15 minutes)
2. We will continue on to describe a few of the partnerships that we’ve created, such as Girls Eye View’s work with the Domestic Violence Task Force, Get Up Get Down’s creation of murals for local businesses, visiting artist programs and youth art exhibits with, at and for local businesses. (15 min)
3. Next, we will outline a framework for thinking through these collaborations by sharing our experience and discussing key considerations. (10 min)
4. Then, we would like to break out into small groups by community or region so that audience members have a chance to brainstorm and come up with potential projects and collaborations. Each group will have a chance to share their idea. (30 min)
5. Last, we will allow time for Q&A (15 min)
Greenfield Community College, Greenfield, MA